Do It Yourself with Documents in the Museum
We are happy to share information in the museum about the city of Kewanee or village of Wethersfield and the folks who lived there.
While we are planning to make a more extensive list of research material in the museum, here’s a partial list of what you will find:
- City directories beginning in 1876 and including the years of 1893, 1898, 1900, 1905, 1911, and many others from that point.
- Cemetery indexes compiled by the Henry County Genealogical Society of all Kewanee cemeteries.
- Scrapbooks containing about 10,000 Kewanee obituaries … click here to see the index.
- Kewanee High School yearbooks beginning in 1904 and Wethersfield High School yearbooks beginning in 1947.
- All of the published histories of Henry County, Kewanee or Wethersfield.
- Atlases showing Kewanee and Wethersfield in 1876, 1893, 1911, 1918 and later.
- Scrapbooks containing documents of various kinds on churches, schools, businesses, industries, fraternal and social clubs and individuals … click for an alphabetized index to scrapbooks.
We Can Help
You can make your request by mail, phone or email. Our address is 211 N. Chestnut, Kewanee IL 61443. Our phone number is 309-854-9701. Our email address is email@example.com … you can also use the contact form on the contacts page.
Please note that ALL research is done by VOLUNTEERS, as our not-for-profit society does not have any paid staff. We do not have set fees for doing research, but reasonable donations to the museum are expected and appreciated.
One last note-we do not do general genealogical searches that might involve censuses or visiting the county courthouse for vital statistics. For general searches we can recommend the Henry County Genealogical Society and Henry County Courthouse. (See the “Links” page). We limit our efforts to the material that we have in our museum and looking at microfilm of Kewanee newspapers.
Additional information and photographs are available when you visit the Kewanee Historical Museum
As always, if you have old photographs, stories or documents you wish to share with the Historical Society we would be greatly appreciated.